You can easily transfer calls on OpenPhone! 🙂
With OpenPhone’s transfer feature, you have the option to either cold transfer, warm transfer, or transfer with a note.
- Cold transfers allow you to transfer the call to someone and then drop off the phone
- Warm transfers let you place a caller on hold, consult with someone else (such as a colleague) over the phone, and then introduce that person to your contact on hold and drop off the call
- Transfer with a note gives you the ability to put a caller on hold and include a message to a teammate in your OpenPhone workspace that you’re transferring the call to and then immediately drop off the call once you’ve clicked “Transfer”
In this guide, we’ll break down how to transfer calls from the web, desktop, and mobile apps.
Who can use this feature?
Which app can I use this feature on?
You can use this feature on all OpenPhone apps!
How to transfer calls on the desktop or web app
1. Answer an incoming OpenPhone call
2. Place a caller on hold by clicking the pause icon. ⏸️ (We recommend always placing someone on hold before transferring calls. Otherwise, your contact will hear your phone attempting to reach the other person or phone number you’re dialing.)
3. Click on "..." next to the hold option.
4. Select "Transfer call"
5. Type the name or the phone number of the person you want to transfer the call to. You can also add a message when you transfer a call to a teammate in OpenPhone, ensuring a smooth handover and avoiding the need for the customer to repeat themselves. Keep in mind that message is only visible if you are transferring a call to someone else in your OpenPhone workspace.
When you add a note for a teammate, the message appears with the incoming call notification. Here’s how adding a message looks on your teammate’s end:
6. Hit “Transfer”. Alternatively, instead of adding a note, you can provide information over the phone to provide an easier handoff before taking your contact off hold.
7. Click the pause icon to take the other call participant off hold. Then if you wish to provide a warm introduction, you can. Then click the red phone icon to drop off the call.
How to transfer calls on the mobile app
1. Answer an incoming call
2. Place a caller on hold by clicking the pause icon. ⏸️ (For any call transfers, we recommend placing someone on hold before transferring. If you do not place them on hold, your contact will hear you attempting to reach the other person or phone number you’re dialing.)
3. Swipe up and select "Transfer call"
4. Here you have 3 options:
- Select the team member you'd like to transfer the call to (bonus: you see their status and availability so you only transfer the call to a colleague who's actually available to take it!). You can also add a note from the mobile app to get your teammate up to speed on a call. Keep in mind that a note is only visible if you are transferring a call to someone else in your OpenPhone workspace.
- Search and tap on the contact in your address book who should take the call
- Type the phone number you'd like to transfer the call to
5. Hit "Transfer".
6. Click the pause icon to take the other call participant off hold. Then if you wish to provide a warm introduction, you can. Then drop off the call by clicking the red phone icon.
Can I put internal team members on hold?
No. Hold is only available to external callers (i.e. a carrier number and/or external workspace number)
Do we have different options for hold music?
Currently, we provide one option for hold music.