If you already have a phone number you'd like to use with OpenPhone, we'd be happy to port it for you for free.
- Right now, we only support porting US, Canadian, and North American toll-free phone numbers
- You'll need to be a workspace owner or admin to initiate a porting request
- You'll need to access OpenPhone via the desktop or web app
Here are the steps to initiate the porting process:
2. Click “Continue to porting”
3. Enter your existing local US, Canadian, or North American toll-free phone number and select your current carrier. Don’t see your carrier in the drop-down list? You can also enter in your current carrier’s name.
4. Provide billing information, including a copy of a recent billing statement
5. Provide your carrier credentials which includes your account number and account pin. An account PIN is generally associated with local US numbers and can often be found in the account dashboard with your current carrier. If you're unsure whether you have a PIN though, reach out to your current carrier
6. After submitting carrier information, you’ll be able to assign an icon and name for your number. Also, you will need to authorize OpenPhone to port this number on your behalf by digitally signing for the port request. Hit “Submit” and you’re all set!
From here, OpenPhone’s porting team will review your porting request and submit the request to your carrier to initiate the process. Keep in mind after submitting a complete porting request, you will no longer able to make changes to your submitted application from the OpenPhone app.
How long does the porting process take?
The process takes anywhere between 1 and 2 weeks and depends on how fast we hear back from your carrier. Here's a blog post that outlines the porting process in more detail!
Don't worry - there's no service interruption. You can use your phone number up until the port date.
Learn more about how to check the status of your porting request here.
Customizing your settings
During the porting process, you can customize your phone number settings in OpenPhone so everything’s ready to go once your number moves over. You can do this by clicking “phone number settings” or by clicking into the newly ported number.
Provider-specific porting guides
Need instructions on porting from specific carriers? Check these out: