"Thanks for calling Acme Inc. For Sales press 1, for Support press 2."
That automated voice guiding you via menu options is called an IVR (interactive voice response). It is also referred to as an auto-attendant, virtual receptionist, automated attendant, phone menu, phone tree, etc.
This guide will show you how to set up an IVR on OpenPhone and cover some frequently asked questions!
How to set up an IVR on OpenPhone
1. Navigate to "Settings" and then "Phone Numbers"
2. Select the phone number you'd like to add a phone menu/auto-attendant to
3. Scroll down to the "Call flow" section and click "Phone menu"
4. Click "Change greeting" to set a greeting message. You can set the greeting by uploading an audio file, recording yourself, or doing text to speech. If you need inspiration on what to include check out our auto-attendant scripts guide!
5. Under "Menu options", set the IVR options. You'll be able set up to 10 different options. Check out the next section of this guide to learn more about the different IVR destinations you can set such as routing to a specific team member or to an external phone number
6. By default, if a caller stays on the line without selecting an option, the menu options will be repeated. You can change this by clicking into "repeat the menu options"
7. Hit "Save" and then toggle on the phone menu
That's it! Congratulations on setting up your IVR on OpenPhone!
How to choose IVR destinations
IVR destinations route calls based on what your callers either speak or key in when they are listening to your greeting message. You can set and update destinations under "Menu options"
If you are on the Standard plan, you'll have the first three destinations listed below. If you are on the Premium plan, you'll have all the destination options listed below:
1. Forward to an OpenPhone number — Forward calls to another OpenPhone number in your organization; it can be either a direct number of one of your colleagues or a shared phone number belonging to a group of people
2. Forward to an outside phone number — Forward calls to any US or Canadian phone number
3. Let the call through — Calls will come through to all members of the phone number. If you're the only person with access to the number, you'll receive calls. If you have a team sharing access to the number, everyone will receive calls
4. Send to a member of the phone number — If your colleague Ann is responsible for all billing questions, you can have the call go directly to her even if she doesn't have a dedicated OpenPhone number.
5. Send to voicemail — The callers will be able to listen to your voicemail and leave a message for you.
6. Play an audio — This is great if you want to have a dedicated option for letting callers know your business hours or business address/directions. You need to share information and that's it!
Frequently asked questions around IVR
What's the pricing like for IVR on OpenPhone?
Standard IVR features are a part of the Standard plan. Premium IVR features are a part of the Premium plan. Learn more about the advantages of the Premium IVR here!
Is it possible to route menu options to external (non-OpenPhone) numbers?
Yes, it is!
Is it possible to have a phone menu option where the customer is directed to leaving a message?
Yes! It's called "Send to voicemail" and it's a part of our Premium plan.
Is it possible to have a menu option where the customer can listen to an audio recording?
Yep! It's called "Play an audio" and it's a part of our Premium plan.
How many extensions can we get on OpenPhone?
You can get up to 10 extensions for menu items 0 - 9. We don't support 2-digit and 3-digit extensions at this time (eg. ext 101).
Can I text an IVR phone number? Who'll receive that text?
Yes, you can! Everyone set as a member of the phone number will be able to get and receive messages coming into it.
Who'll be able to call out of the IVR phone number?
Everyone set as a member of the phone number will be able to make calls out of that number.
How do I remove the phone menu from my OpenPhone number?
You can delete it at any time by visiting your phone number settings. Scroll down and click into the "Phone Menu" section. Then click "delete" to remove your auto-attendant.
If you have any other questions, please submit a request here. We're happy to help!